TR4 clunk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 clunk
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 06:54:16 EDT
<<Scions,
Recently my 64TR4 has developed an intermitent clunking sound in the left
rear. At first I though the spare was lose and sliding around on turns.
Then I thought the tool roll came lose.  Took both out and drove the car
and the sound is still there.
I first noticed the sound when I drove my 4th grader and her friend up town
for some ice cream at the local BR.  Of course they had to sit on the back
shelf to look cool in a cool car.  Question is...could the weight of two
petite girls cause some thing to happen/break on the rear suspension. I
have allocated the little spare time I have this summer to working on my
76TR6 to get ready for Six-pack nationals, so I haven't gotten under the
TR4 yet to look around.  Thought I'd try the list first to see if anyone
has "been there, done that, bought the tee shirt".>>
Tom - that's weird..need more clues...but anyway hope this helps...my own
differential had a little knock and I took it apart to find the sun and
planet gears quite sloppy (had about 1/4 inch play when turning the input
flange) - luckily 95% of the problem can be rectified with two $1.25 oversize
thrustwashers from Moss (not super hard to change). The other 5% requires I
'spread the case' and pull the pinion gear to adjust shims for tighter
bearing specs and then rearrange the the shims on the differential 'carrier'
to tighten up pinion/crown gear backlash. (that will get done if I am
ambitious enough)
I would be doing thrustwashers with diferential in the car if I wasn't in
full restoration mode (rearend on bench now).
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74
ps; curious - what's your CT number ?
mine is CT22326L