Re: VTR - Day 2 or is it 3?

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VTR - Day 2 or is it 3?
From: Keith A Edwards <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 09:04:42 -0400
Cc: Bob Danielson <rdaniels@snet.net>, vbbrannon@hlmdesign.com
Bob Danielson wrote:

> Today was autocross day and Kennebunkport tour...... talk about extremes!!
> This morning the stock TR3's, 4's & 6's ran and list members can be proud!
> Henry Frye in his truly stock TR3...... in his first autocross ever .....
> wearing a borrowed helmet (my wife asked if they disinfected the helmet
> between uses!!)  smoothed his way through 3 runs to a 2nd..... or was it
> third... place finish.

SNIP

It was good meeting Henry.  Boy, was he enthusiastic!  He did run very
well.

> We headed down to Kennebunkport, toured the shops, had lunch, drove by Ex
> Pres Bush's place but it was too foggy to see anything and then got back in
> time for the Spits and the modified crowd. Andy Mace in his highly modified
> full race Spit made it part way through his first run when the car up and
> died. The Prez was then pushed back to the "pits" and repairs began. Simple
> problem...... no fuel being delivered to the carbs.

I worked the course most of the day, and didn't have any Triumph to
run...  :-(>  I was also in charge of the Tidewater Triumph Register's
(new) awning, delivered by Mike Jones.  Added some much needed shade,
near the (larger) timing awning.  Yes, it was very hot, especially for
Maine.

I was the course worker closest to Andy when his Spit "starved", so we
pushed it off to the pits, maintaining momentum.

> Next thing I know, Brad
> Kahler's under the hood cleaning parts..... something clogged the fuel line
> completely. A little air pressure blew it all out and Andy was off to the
> races....... man does he fly. His main competition came from the highly
> modified TR4 of the ....... once again..... Fat Chance Garage. Fast, loud,
> flat in the corners...... driven by our mail list keeper Mark B. and his
> buddy Chris.I left before the final results were posted but list members
> Andy and Mark HAD to have the top 2 positions. Other listers in the Spit or
> modified group were Ken Streeter, Keith Erlich, Ralph Jannelli and Jack &
> Susan Brooks.... Susan had the seat as far forward as it would go and drove
> that beautiful TR3 through 3 perfect runs.

My money would be on John Lye's TR4, though which (his co-drivers or
him) had FTD I didn't see.

SNIP

>The
>other car of note was a full race SCCA TR8 that had to be seen to be
>believed. When he started it up we thought Jeff Gordon had pulled in in his
>NASCAR whatever. Can you say unmuffled and LOUD. It looked fast. It sounded
>fast. It ran like S*#T. One run and onto the trailer, never to be seen
>again. I guess he runs SCCA road courses and it just wasn't set up to run
>autocross.

Bill Sohl told me that was VTR's VP, Vern Brannon
(vbbrannon@hlmdesign.com).  First time out with the car.  A former Ken
Slaggle (sp?) Trans Am (?) TR8.  I speculate that he was driving it
carefully, so as to qualify for the driving event, necessary to be in
the car show today.  The autox was one of the few driving events that
didn't require a street-legal car.

There were several cars there, for which autox was not their forte.
Road race (or drag race) could have been a much different story.

SNIP

> Bob Danielson....... pictures on my web site by next weekend!

Good!

Gotta get to the car show at Portland Head Light.

Keith Edwards, with my wife's Honda Civic (our first car from the
current decade)
Suffolk, VA
2 TR3Bs
2 TR4As