Re: Timing

To: Fergie <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: Timing
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:27:28 +0100
Cc: tr <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Fergie

You may have your distributor 180 degrees out -  try  putting the piston
for pot number 4 at TDC with both its valves closed and check which pot
the distributor arm is trying to send the spark to as well as looking at
the timing marks-   if the arm is pointing to the HT wire for pot 1 then
you can either switch the dizzy around or just swap the wires ! The
workshop manual tells you how to check everything - but you have to
remove the dizzy to look at the offset of the distributor drive - it
could also be that the drive on the dizzy itself has been assembled
incorrectly ( I don't know if this is possible though)

I remember doing something like this with my TR2 in the 1970's and
switched wires around to make it work!   For timing the swinging around
of the dizzy to get the fastest RPM at fast tickover then backing off
the timing so that the revs drop by 100 is recommended by several of the
listers !!

Cheers
Brian Johnson  (Loughborough UK)
1963  TR4   AFP 503A (UK) / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now not L but O )
1954  TR2   46 BHX                         TS554-O   UK Car in pieces
1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI   - Eurobox  but it goes !
Internet b.johnson@lycosmail.com
Website http://websites.diamond.co.uk/~b.johnson/index.htm