RE: Spit Tranny rebuild

To: Ian Frearson <frearji@montevallo.edu>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: Spit Tranny rebuild
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:49:02 -0400
Well,  I don't have a spit, but I undertook my TR4A transmission rebuild with
a bit if trepidation.  Needless to say, it is not rocket science.  It is just
mechanics.  You do not need "special" tools, but disassembly is tough
without the few important tools.

Getting the tail shaft housing off was a bear for me, but it is supposed to
take only a few whacks of a hammer on a 2x4 wood block to get it off.

Pulling the input shaft was easy when you have a BIG chuck attached to a
BIGGER drill to strike on like a slap hammer to get the shaft and bearing off.

Removing the middle bearing was easy when using a used bushing split in half
lengthwise (then wired to the mainshaft) to push the bearing out from the
inside.

The mainshaft circlip is pretty easily removed with 2 screwdrivers and some
patience.

Get all your replacement parts ahead of time.  4 new synchro cups, new bushings
all around, new thrust washers, the main bearings are usually good for life from
what I hear (as long as the trans never ran out of oil), new oil seals, new
gaskets,
new cross shaft bushings, new roller bearings (if any).  Various and sundry
parts.
Layshafts frequently are bad.

In the TR line TRF has a "kit" of the "usual" parts.  Inspect your trans
carefully.  Remove the top cover and inspect the inside for any obvious
problems.

When you have ALL the parts you might need, then pull apart the gears and
bushings
off the mainshaft and layshaft.  Then check and fit all the end floats, then
reassemble as soon as you can so you don't forget the proper orientation of the
parts.  Some parts are supposed to face a certain way....

I made the mistake of pulling off the gears, etc before I get one last part.
The 2nd gear bushing (in optional steel for the 4A)  So, now I run the risk of
not noticing an improper orientation somewhere.  The exploded diagrams in the
manuals work well and usually do include enough detail to get the proper
orientation of parts when it is critical.

It is actually quite easy, but it is noce to have an experienced hand around
nearby to help out! (thanks, Brian Schlorff!!)  With that kind of back up, you
have no worry at all!  After the first one, you are looking forward to the
second!

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: "Ian Frearson" <frearji@montevallo.edu>
Subject: Spitfire Transmission Rebuild: Need Advice!

After having enjoyed my "new" 1980 Spitfire for awhile, I've decided it's
time to buckle down and begin the process of the major work I'm going to
need to do in order to ultimately make the car my primary transportation.

The painful truth for the moment:

The transmission needs to be rebuilt. The synchro on 1st is shot, and 2nd
and 4th are getting a little ratty... I'm pretty handy with my tools, but
have never attempted anything quite this hardcore.

 - will I be able to pull this off? I'm not exactly a mechanical dunce, but
I've never rebuilt a transmission before...

 - other than the factory manual, are there any other "must haves"?

 - what tools will be required? Anything special?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.
<