RE: Why is emory cloth bad? and my 2p

To: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Why is emory cloth bad? and my 2p
From: "John E. Allen" <JALLEN/0001060003@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:58:42 -0400 (EDT)
A bit of folklore on the suject:

My Dad who built racing engines in the 40's/50's had a small Arkansa extra
fine stone in a little leather holder (which I now have) that he used to
polish points, even brand new ones. He said the points had to be mirror
smooth with no scratch or file lines to get a clean break,so that you would
not get "ragged firing through the coil", and no metal transfer from one
side of the points to the other. As I recall, one side would get a "pit"
while the a small growth. He would never allow a metal file or paper to be
used.

He also put a drop of "Neatsfoot Oil" the stuff you put on leather on the
points and swore that it kept down corrosion. Of course, was doing this
every weekend before races, so who knows!!