Electronic Ignition - aftermarket (Crane vs MSD)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electronic Ignition - aftermarket (Crane vs MSD)
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:51:15 -0400

I am looking for an aftermarket ignition system for my other project (nonLBC).
I currently use a Crane XR-700 (formerly Allison) ignition on my LBC.  Is there
an noticeable performance improvement in using an MSD 5 or 6 ignition?  If there
is an improvement then I could put the MSD on the Triumph and use the Crane
ignition on the other vehicle.  How would I trigger the MSD?  I got rid of
points with the Crane and the MSD catalog mentions one of the options on
triggering the MSD is thru the use of points.  My other option would be to use a
Crane system on both vehicles and then I would always have a spare box and
sensor available.  How often have any of you had failures with the Crane/Allison
system?