RE: Ignition lamp... again.

To: "'Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.'" <Webmaster@infinitefx.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition lamp... again.
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 20:07:02 -0700
Don :

Sorry, but it still sounds to me like a defective regulator (inside the
alternator).  There are (at least) two transistors inside the regulator,
and in your case it sounds like the one that senses that the alternator is
turning, and connects the IGN terminal to 12 volts, is shorted or has very
high leakage.  This wouldn't keep the alternator from working, but would
cause the light to stay on and run the battery down when the car is parked.

There is a very small chance that the problem is caused by dirt and/or
conductive crud inside the alternator housing, so it's probably worth
disassembling, cleaning and inspecting it.

If you really want to go to extremes, get a remote control battery
disconnect switch, and run the control knob up under the dash <g>

Randall