Removing TR4 rear trans housing: success!

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, ARhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Removing TR4 rear trans housing: success!
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 21:25:34 -0400
Well, I got the darn tail housing off my TR4 transmission.  The bashing
technique
worked eventually.  I took it to my friend, a TR mechanic, and he did all the
same
stuff I did, with the same lack of success.  Finally he bolted on an old
rear transmission mount, and bashed on that.  It came of promptly at that point.
I think that the jarring of the impact near the rear bearing loosened it up
some and it finally popped off.

He then showed me how to get the input shaft out.  It was pretty easy.  Chuck
on a BIG drill then hammer on the side handle, and the part backs right out.

I suppose you could fabricate a big slap hammer out of a 3/4" chuck bolted into
bar of metal.  Could even have a cross shaft welded onto it to hammer backwards
on.

He then showed me the easy way to get the middle bearing out.  Take an old
bushing and cut it in half so you have 2 semi-circles of bushing.  Remove
the circlip and washer from the output shaft just behind the middle bearing,
then tap the entire output shaft into the transmission as far as it will
reasonably go, then wire the two halves of the bearing onto the output shaft
just
in front of the middle bearing then tap the entire shaft backward out of the
transmission.  It moves very readily.  Then remove the bearing, angle the
entire unit upward and remove it from the top of the transmission.

Hope you find this useful.

-Tony