Re: Spit assembled in Belgium

To: Tom Ambrose <tambrose@tir.com>
Subject: Re: Spit assembled in Belgium
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 22:36:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spitlist@gte.net, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Tom Ambrose wrote:

> But, I'm still going to measure (just don't want to give it up). Or maybe:
> "Hello, positive camber."

Tom, assuming no one has been creative with swapping about of little
bits, it is easy to spot the longer axles. On that longer axle setup, the
brake flexible hose goes to a union with a metal pipe -- this on the back
side of the brake backing plate. Then that metal pipe goes into the wheel
cylinder. On the earlier cars, the flexible hose screwed directly into
the wheel cylinder.

Don't forget that we in the US saw the "1500" (badge and engine both)
beginning in the 1973 model year, whereas most everyone else saw the
Mk.IV continue until the 1975 model year. Note also that US 1973 and 1974
Spitfire 1500s also still had that mechanical tach and three-rail
gearbox. In effect, we had 1500s "built on the Mk.IV chassis" rather than
it being the other way around.

Having had both a '73 and a '74 not that long ago, I got pretty familiar
with that vintage of Spitfire (and pretty fond of same as well).

--Andy