RE: [TR6] Fitting Datsun 240Z Al-fin drums

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR6] Fitting Datsun 240Z Al-fin drums
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 09:03:18 -0700
Ted :

My understanding is that the main reason for using them is the weight
savings (they are apparently allowed in VARA stock classes, as substitutes
for the factory Alfin drums).  Since the Datsun drums are apparently not
Alfin (which refers to a trademarked method of bonding iron to aluminum for
improved heat transfer), they may not cool any better than the iron drums.
The 10" drums used on earlier cars would probably provide better cooling
than either 9" setup, but they are heavier yet (and apparently not
currently available).

Randall