TRS; Project "zoom"; LeMans

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TRS; Project "zoom"; LeMans
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:37:00 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
For those of you that happened to catch Legends of Motorsport this evening
on SpeedVision, you will remember that it focused on the 1960 24 Heures du
Mans race.  And more specifically the program emphasized Triumph's Project
"zoom" cars... the Triumph TRS'.

I was wonder if anyone could provide any mechanical details on these cars?
I noticed that while one of the bonnets was open in the pit lane that the
TRS' had DOHC motors (and running in the 2litre class).  Why didn't Triumph
refine this engine and use it in the TR4 and 4A?

The program noted that these cars produced 150hp and that the DOHC designed
was somehow flawed.  (still IMHO more R&D would have been beneficial for a
production version of a DOHC TR)

Body wise the TRS looked just like a TR4, with a buldge in the hood to
accomodate the DOHC motor.  And quite surprisingly, even though the body was
glassfibre, the cars still weighed a bit over 2200lbs.

Lastly, why did Triumph keep a spare tyre in the trunk of the cars?  I
noticed that each time one of the TRS cars would enter the pits for a tyre
change, the spare was taken out and replaced.  I do understand that if the
driver were to get a flat along the circuit that he may be able to change
it, but this doesn't seem very ideal to me.

It was also amusing to see Alec Dick in the pits, seeing Ken Richardson (TRS
team leader) frantically waving his arms as each car entered the pit lane,
and to see the mechanics whacking the knockoffs with hammers to violently.
Unfortunatly, of all the 3 TRS cars entered - all 3 finished - but their lap
times were too slow to actually qualify as finishers.

Anyhow, back to this years Le Mans race!

chocks away,

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kmr@pil.net
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR6