Lever Shocks question

To: ARhodes@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lever Shocks question
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 00:40:12 -0400
Tony,

I've just gone thro' a similar upgrade (and added Spax adjustables to the
front).   My rear shocks sounded like yours - working, but not as firm as
the new Spax.  I think you can re-valve them (or have it done by Whitepost
or other similar co), but I decided to try refilling with fresh oil as a
first stage (and they are really easy to change if that doesn't work!), so
took the small filler plug out of the top (too small to get anything out),
so then resorted to taking the large hex machine screw on the bottom - got
the oil out very quickly, and it was very THIN ... but if you go this
route, watch out for the springs that are housed behind the screw; they are
easy to loose on the floor of the shop!

I refilled with EP90 gear oil (it's about SAE 50 weight) since it was the
heaviest oil I could find in the local parts store.  It certainly made them
firmer, but the rear is still softer and more prone to bounce or rough
pavement than the front, so I think I will end up with rebuilt levers, or
even run to the Spax adjustables with the BP Northwest mounting kit on the
rear at some point.  Incidentally, never be tempted to go for the
multi-piece tower shock kit - the one that fits to the inner fender - the
DPO must have had one fitted and it has torn the inner fender wall into the
boot badly - I don't think I've seen so may pop-rivets in one place before!.

Back to the shocks: as a stop gap, and as a way of getting a much firmer
rearend, the oil swap it seems to have worked reasonably well.

Final thought - I upgraded all bushes to polybushings from BPNW, and they
have really made the car feel really taut (and I installed them all with
lashings of anti-sieze, so nary a squeek!): the rear end, in particular,
seems to have benefitted, and I don't get the horrible lurch I would get
from the back if I lost courage and backed off the throttle when cornering
fast - now she just hangs in tight, and gives a puff of blue smoke!

Good luck,

Tony

1972 TR6, Midland, MI

   Anthony Gordon                       Technology Education Coordinator
   Saginaw Public Schools               tel: 1-517-797-4855
   ISDC, 1505 Ottawa Blvd               fax: 1-571-797-4778
   Saginaw, MI 48602, USA               email: tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us