Re: Engine Compression

To: Jim.Garippa@bowne.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Compression
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:13:01 EDT
Jim,

Checking compression on an inline engine like we have in our LBCs is pretty
painless.

Get yourself a decent compression gauge; take the plugs out so the engine
spins freely (without compression); disconnect the coil wire to the
distributor; hook up (thread) the gauge into the sparkplug hole one cylinder
at a time; have an assistant crank the engine a few times to get a reading
(the gauge needle will notch up to a point and stop - that's when you stop
cranking); note each reading (psi).

Given that compression overall is "healthy" roughly 125 to 150 psi, the
readings shouldn't vary more than 10 to 12% from cylinder to cylinder to
assure smooth performance, good power, gasket and valve integrity, etc.

Go for it!

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spit MkIII  FDU78512L (Decent Driver)