Re: TR3 Breather

To: chammock@iquest.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Breather
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 17:01:31 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
chammock@iquest.net writes:

<< Do the draft tubes on the early TRs plug up with gunk over time?  I wonder
 because mine seems to expell more air from the valve cover than the draft
 tube.  I thought maybe I had some engine problems of some sort, but chekced
 the compression and its even and consistent acros all 4 cylinders.  Given
 the grungy neighborhood of the tube, I hate to remove it as an exercise if
 they do not plug up.  ANy other thoughts on why this would happen, or is
 this normal?

 I also seem to have a lack of vaccuum - which wold make sense if ther is
 pressure in the crankcase.  I'm stumped.  THanks in advance for your help
 and advice >>

The oil cap should be where air enters the motor. The tube is where it exits.
Generally speaking I haven't noticed much if any build up of stuff in the
tube. I remove the tube every oil change - makes it easier to get at the oil
filter.
Recommend you check yours as if it is clogged air will definitely get forced
out the oil   cap. Could also be blow-by from worn rings/cylinders.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4