RE: Duh! stupid, stupid, stupid!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: Duh! stupid, stupid, stupid!
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 09:36:00 -0500
Let's see... Here's are the  top 10 "dumb TR mechanic" things I've done with my
TR-6:

1. Installed new cam with intake fully open at TDC instead of 103 degrees. No
start.
2. Plug wires in the wrong order (clockwise instead of counterclockwise).
3. Fuel injectors firing in the wrong order (yes, its a PI car)
4. +12V to - terminal on MSD (didn't kill it- just made a powerful clicking
noise when I tried to start it)
5.  Shorted starter power cable against headers (sparky!)
6.  Snapped off the heater valve in the cylinder head when reinstalling the
engine (put the valve in AFTER you
     drop in the block).
7. Tried to put the starter motor on AFTER installing the intake manifolds and
headers.
8. Tried to install the headers AFTER installing the starter motor (catch 22
here- the intake goes LAST,
    the headers and starter go together).
9. Failed to adequately tighten the spin on oil filter. Fortunately I figured
it out after only a few seconds of engine operation
    and all the internals had moly fresh assembly lube. Quite a puddle though.
10:Inadvertently used a friend's body to check for spark on my MSD/sport coil
ignition (ouch).

I've learned an awful lot from this car though. I went from a Jiffy Lube patron
to being confident enough to tackle
maintainence and repairs on my 1990 Mercedes.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com