differential paly

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: differential paly
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 05:59:09 EDT
<<Listers-
I am getting concerned about the amount of play in my TR6 differential.
Does anyone know how much rotation should occur at the driveshaft end
before engagement? Or put another way, if I set the handbrake, set
tranny in neutral and get under there and turn the driveshaft, about how
many degrees should the driveshaft turn before it's rotation is stopped
by the diff engaging?
TIAKeith Ehrlich
74 TR6>>
Keith
I believe the number is '0' and as my TR4 workshop manual states "it should
take around 15 pounds of pressure to turn the input and crown gear pair
alone"...that's without any of the other internal gears..
My TR4 rearend has about a 1/4" play at input flange so I opened rear cover
and found the 2 suns and 2 planets (four small differential gears) were
causing the gap (luckily the expensive pinion and crown gear pair seem
perfectly meshed and snug. Moss sells thrust washers in about 8 sizes at
$1.50 each to fit behind the two planet gears to rectify any play and my
manual says ..."fit large enough thrusts to eliminate any play while allowing
free rotation of sun and planet gearing".
If I recall correctly from 25 years ago you can add these thrustwashers
without pulling the internal gear carrier from inside the rearend which would
be a real chore - you basically drive out a couple of pins, rotate out gears,
replace washers and reassemble. It would be easier to get at it if you remove
the rearend (and a TR6 rearend is easier to pull than a live axle 4) but you
may be able to do it in place if you are one for contortionistic maneuvering.
good luck
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74