Speaking of tubes -

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Speaking of tubes -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 06:30:16 -0800
I just noticed that the front left tire of the GT6 was running very low
yesterday on the way home from work (took it out for it's bimonthly run,
and to do some testing).  Upon further examination it was found that the
valve stem, at the tube juncture was leaking, apparently chafed by the hole
in the rim.  These are chrome wire wheels.  The stem is not cocked,
stressed, or crooked in the hole and yes, the rims REQUIRE tubes.  When
these tubes were installed (around five or six years ago) the tire place
didn't use, what I later heard described as some type valve stem grommet.
Never heard of these up until then.  Now that I am having to replace the
tube I am contemplating the use of these items, but am at a loss to see how
they could fit.  I have never seen these installed on anything I have
looked at, but I have to confess that I haven't looked all that hard for
them.  The valve stem that is in there now is a VERY tight fit, only
extending about an inch from the rim and any grommet, as far as I can see,
would cause the stem to protrude even less than it does now making filling,
(getting the air chuck on) very difficult - Anybody used these
*grommets*(for lack of a better or proper term) and where did you get them?
 Comments, drawbacks? No sense putting in new tubes and having them
destroyed again.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)