RE: PROPOSED TAX ON INTERNET ACCESS - HOAX HOAX HOAX

To: "Philip E Bacon" <pboldtrix@juno.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PROPOSED TAX ON INTERNET ACCESS - HOAX HOAX HOAX
From: philpatt@kalamazoo.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:04:15 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <KTRIUMPH@aol.com>, <borke@allamerican.com>, <ktriumph@juno.com>, <lgmiceli@bellsouth.net>, <loubenz@earthlink.net>, <DROLLORD@aol.com>, <botting@juno.com>, <MBoucher@worldnet.ATT.Net>, <IRONMAN1@bellsouth.net>, <RD318@earthlink.net>, <Sandhouse@aol.com>, <HHarris07@aol.com>, <n23998@aol.com>, <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>, <tpjk@aol.com>, <michelinem@aol.com>, <SKMiceli@juno.com>, <c.nick@ix.netcom.com>, <TR672GR@aol.com>, <Saffer@gate.net>, <dsavage@gate.net>, <MrMShane@MSN.com>, <mgman@magg.net>, <TSSlater@aol.com>, <lmsobol@aol.com>, <stott3000@aol.com>, <rangerc@ix.netcom.com>, <Polybutton@aol.com>, <smth@icon.ftld.ufl.edu>, <jtorgow@lucent.com>, <NicholasV2@aol.com>, <MG1271@aol.com>, <dostal@Sensormatic.com>, <rchartwell@aol.com>, <Paris50@aol.com>, <Emp006@Email.mot.com>, <mperry@gate.net>, <SZS@SEARCYLAW.com>, <eddie.day@fibre.com>, <JJJ243@aol.com>, <rixsix@aol.com>
> Listers . .Sorry to shout on the header, but I guess we all realized the
> government would sooner or later find a way to tax us for using the
> Internet.  Congress will be voting in less than a week.  CNN stated that
> the Government would, in two weeks time, decide to allow or not allow a
> charge to your phone bill equal to a long distance call EACH TIME you
> access the Internet.   All US listers should express their opinion
> (flame) to their representatives.
>       The address    http://www.house.gov/writerep/
>
>        If you choose to write your congressman,  visit the address above
> and fill out the necessary form.   If EACH one of us forward this message
> on to others in a hurry, we may be able to prevent this injustice from
> happening!  Please pass this ON

Please don't take this as a flame, but this sounds awful thin.
There is nothing on CNN's main pages about such a story, and a search for
"internet access congress" doesn't bring up anything even closely related to
this story.

A search at http://www.access.gpo.gov/congress/cong009.html yields lots of
bills, mostly relating to schools and filtering, etc.  The only thing even
remotely close to what you've stated is the exact opposite:

        Senate S.328, which says
        "To make permanent the moratorium on the imposition of
         taxes on the Internet."

And so, as I hit the Urban Legend site, to quote it's address, look at what
I find:

http://snopes.simplenet.com/spoons/faxlore/congress.htm

It's already listed.

People, please.  Bookmark http://www.snopes.com and before you get yourself
up in a dander (and waste everyone's bandwidth (not to mention making
yourself look like a dolt to your congresscritter ("What's this constituent
talking about?"))) look it up here.  Odds are, if there is not factual data
(ie: A bill number.  A cnn URL reference, etc.), it's fake.

Sorry to have sucked up bandwidth (and wasted an hour looking into it
first), but this stuff doesn't help the Internet's credibility when this
type of thing makes its rounds.

Sorry to be so long winded, myself.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled LBC content.

Phil Pattengale
54 TR2  - TS1440-LO {project #1}
56 TR3  - TS13872-L  {project #2}
philpatt@kalamazoo.net