Re: Larger valves in TR3A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Larger valves in TR3A
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:46:33 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
I was always under the impression that, for street use, one should enlarge
the intake valves and leave the exhaust valves alone.  Generally speaking,
or so I have been led to believe, the recommended approach for improving the
performance of four cylinder LBC engines is (in order of incremental cost
versus incremental power increase):

1.    Carburation
2.    Increased Compression Ratio
3.    New cam (greater overlap/dwell)
4.    Bigger inlet valves/port and polish
5.    Revised exhaust manifold/free flow exhaust system

Depending upon the cost of new carburettors, maybe #1, 2 and 3 will be in a
slightly different order.  However, I have never seen a recommendation to
increase exhaust valve size before doing any of the other things.