Re: A Type Overdrive

To: Philip Smith <smith007@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: A Type Overdrive
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:26:03 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Yes, that's reasonable.

US sources: Yesterday I was quoted locally $1895 non-exchange (I think
you'll have to pay themto get them to take your non-O/D gearboxes at
all) including the solenoid, inhibitor switches, top cover for gearbox,
etc... pretty complete. Rebuilt boxes with 1 year warranty.

I did get an East Coast quote at $1600 or $1700, but that would require
shipping to the tune of at least $100. I assume it's as complete as the
first unit, but not sure.

I've also been in touch with UK sources: they are only offering complete
gearbox + O/D units too, same type of scarcity, same price range plus
the cost of shipping which I imagine would be pretty steep. Also was
quoted VAT (which was 17.5% last time I was in UK, but I thought you
didn't pay on items being taken out of the country) and

In addition to the above costs, I figure another $100-200 for wiring
harness, column switch, plinth (or is it a eustacion? whatever), etc.
Be sure to ask your guru what all is included.

While the gearbox is out, I'm upgrading to a diaphragm style clutch (3
piece kit about $110, plus machine work to the flywheel, unless I have a
later type around somewhere) and will need nearly all the clutch
shaft/fork hardware (another $150 probably).

It goes on and on! Total cost of the A-type O/D upgrade looks like
between $2000-2500 no matter how you cut it, makes Charlie's TR6
w/J-type for $4000 look pretty attractive doesn't it?!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L... "O no!"

--