urethane bushings

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: urethane bushings
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:56:13 -0500
This talk about urethane bushing and squeeeak or not.  Well once again from
the Herb Adams book.

The rubbers bushing are a compromise, the compromise is the rotational
working of the suspension parts and the cheapness of the bushing. On a race
car as in the old days with regular cars there was a steel on steel pivot
point that needed lubrication and upkeep.  The bad part about the rubber
bushes is they can compress and allow the alignment to vary.

Bear with me here.

Herb goes on to say urethane bushes look good on the parts shelf and they
should stay there. The reason already stated by listers is SQUEEEEAKING. A
rubber bush because of its softness can twist with the steel parts and
contort with torsional motion. A urethane bush because of its harder
structure can not twist with the torsional motion and therefore the steel
parts rotate inside the bush and because of tightness and high friction of
the joint this motion produces a squeak.

Solution: nylon bushes. Or if you can, a nylon sleeve inside the urethane
bush. In an earlier listing I mentioned the Jag well when I put a 1"
swaybar in I used urethane and its not so much a squeak its more of a grunt
when the bar works inside the bush. I am going to get urethane bushes for a
1 1/4" bar and sleeve the junction with an oil impregnated nylon tube.

The arthur
kit car aka 69 GT6
garage ornament aka 82 Jag
boxy thing on wheels aka ford aerostar