Re: Monza vs Ansa exhausts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Monza vs Ansa exhausts
From: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 99 08:28:02 PST
Cc: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
John Day wrote:
        > I hoped I'd have heard some commentary on the pros & cons
        > of these two makes, but so far, nothing.

I have an Ansa system on my TR6.  Visually, the two appear
almost identical.  I wouldnt be suprized if they are identical.
After all, its not rocket science designing mufflers at this level.

Fitting of the Ansas was straight-forward, but there is some fiddling
with the hangers to gain maximum ground clearance at the mufflers.
If you have someone else fit the pipes, figure on 2 hours of labour,
approx $80.

I have heard talk to the effect that the resonaters (in both systems)
are too close to the diff, and exacerbate cooling problems of the diff.

As for the sound, well its good and bad.  There is a delightful rumble
at idle (both in and outside the car).  Around 1500-2200 reve, the note
inside the car sounds uncannily like a MG, enough to make me cringe.
Around 2000-2500 there is a "booming" resonance which some people will
not like, but my hearing is ruined, and I like noisy cars anyway :)

Finally, higher up in the rev-band (where it counts) the noise is not
much more than a standard 'box, typical TR6 sound, but from the outside
I am told it can be heard for a loooong way.  People with O/D will
benefit.  The muffler note is overtaken by induction noise (K&Ns)
above 5000 rpm, like the sound of tearing canvas. :)

Would I use Ansa/Monza again?  Probably not.  I got the Ansa system cheap,
so it was a deal.  If I was to do it over again, I'd build a custom
system which would work out at the same price as the retail price of
the Ansa/Monza anyway.

My $0.02.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego