Re: Head stud rusted into head on TR6

To: rdowty@iso.net
Subject: Re: Head stud rusted into head on TR6
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 23:21:32 -0700 (MST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Ron,

        I had the same problem, but it was actually carbon build-up that seemed
        to weld the stud the the block. I tried all the things you might
have tried
        like lubricants, WD-40. etc. It did no good. I finally got some stud
removers
        and used a 3 foot hollow pipe that fit around the ratchet. Yes, I needed
        that much torque to remove it. In fact, I went through 2 stud
removers - the
        first (7/16")just stripped off the threads, then a 10mm was able to
tightly
        grip the stud and if finally came off.

        Jeff Nathanson '72 TR6

>At 10:57 PM 2/8/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>
>>I have had this problem before but last time the engine was out of the car
>>and I actually spun the head to remove the stud from the block then beat the
>>damn thing with a big hammer until it came out. This time I'm not planning
>>to pull the whole motor, just the head and the same stud (the one closest to
>>the water pump) is rusted tight into the block. I've tried using two nuts
>>with no luck. All I can think to do now is drill a hole through the stud and
>>stuck a bar through it and crank on it. Does anyone have a better idea?

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.

Web Site: WWW.MSYSTECH.COM