Re: feeler gauge-go.nogo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: feeler gauge-go.nogo
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 09:49:39 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 Bush4brits@aol.com wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by go, no-go feeler gages.  Feeler gages
> are just strips of metal ground down to an exact thickness (within
> .00005"). They are then stamped with the exact thickness and packaged
> in sets......usually from .0005" to .030".  By definition they are NOT
> "go, no-go" gages...
> [snip]

Go/Not-Go feeler gauges have stepped blades.  For example, a nominally
.010 inch go/not-go feeler gauge is a .011 inch blade with a portion of
the blade ground to .009 inch.  If the .009 inch portion will go into the
gap without drag, but the .011 inch portion will not go in without forcing
it, then the gap is .010 inch.

You can get the same results with pairs of standard feeler gauges.  To
test for .010 inch clearance, a .009 inch blade should fit without drag
but a .011 inch blade should not fit unless you force it.

For most people the go/not-go (or go/no-go) method gives better accuracy
than using a single feeler gauge of the exact dimension (.010 inch feeler
for a .010 inch gap, for example).  This is because you don't have to deal
with subjective decisions like "Well, it went in, but was there too much
drag on the feler gauge?"  With the go/not-go method, the feeler gauge
either goes in or it doesn't.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net