Re: Fan Belts

To: Bill_Eley@AIMFUNDS.COM, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fan Belts
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:42:43 EST
In a message dated 98-12-15 11:36:47 EST, Bill_Eley@AIMFUNDS.COM writes:

> OK Art, you've scared me enough.  Where do I get one of these "emergency
>  belts"?  Is this some generic item found at any auto parts store?
>  Seriously, this is good stuff for us TR4 novices.  Thanks.

Bill, you're welcome.  I was not trying to scare anyone.

Suggest you see if you can get a regular replacement fan belt to go down in
front of the fan and then back to the crankshaft pulley.  On my car the
steering crosspiece is to close to the fan extension and the belt will not go
through to the pulley.  Loosening the engine mounts and jacking up the engine
raises the fan extension enough to squeeze the belt through the space.  My
mounts are in good shape and Vern already related his story of the Triumph
dealer telling him this was the way to do it.

The emergency belts are available all over the place.  I've seen them in gas
stations off the interstates. Of course, you pay more there (aboyr $10, I
think) because most people who buy them there are in trouble with a broken
belt.

BTW -There are two kinds - One is rubber with metal tabs and screws.  You cut
the belt to fit, then attach a tab on the inside and outside of the cut ends.
The screws go thru the top tab and the belt and into the bottom tab.  ( The
"kit" has the belt, a razor to cut it and a screw driver).  The other kind is
plastic and has snaps (like a pull chain for a ceiling light).  I've used the
first one.  Haven't tried the second kind but it looks easier to install and
should work.  Cheers.

Art Kelly