ease up fan belt longer life

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ease up fan belt longer life
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 05:53:00 EST
Regarding fan belts...on my '64 TR4 I noticed that with the 'correct belt
tension' (according to manuals) I was going through belts rather quickly but
if I tensioned it just enough so I couldn't spin water pump pulley by hand -
the belt lasted a lot longer. Been doing it ever since with no problems.
Also we had the discussion that later waterpumps (the pulley) doesn't quite
line up with the other two pulleys (generator and crank) and that wears the
belt out on the sides pretty quickly (the looser tension helps in that regard
too).
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74