Re: Instrument Cleaning - Help

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: Instrument Cleaning - Help
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 11:47:21 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Brian Sanborn wrote:

> 1.    When I twist off the round bezels these hard pieces of old rubber or
> cork gasket just fall out on to the table.  Does anyone know of a source for
> new gaskets or how to make new one yourself?  I got new O-rings for the
> outside of the instrument housing from Moss.... but can't find any "inside
> the instrument" stuff.

See BK's post... if you can find a watchmaker with *old* tools they will
have a gasket cutter.  It's a tool that fits in a drill press and has
2 knives that cut a ring-shaped gasket (for pocket watches).  Looks quite
wicked but it should work.  Maybe have the watchmaker do it for you...

> 2.    All around the edge of the instrument face and under the glass the
> outside edge of the glass the semi-gloss black paint has lifted.... either
> with the brittle gasket or stuck to the back of the glass.  Has anyone had
> success with touching this up.  If so... what paint?

Yep, Testors Flat Black.  You need to polish a bit afterward to match the
patina.  Or start with a semi-gloss black.

> 3.    The faces of the instruments and glass all have a film on them.  There
> was a lot of oil spray behind my dash on the harness and the back of the
> instruments.  Some of this must have worked its way into the instrument
> interior... they are not air tight at all.  I have cleaned the face with
> window cleaner type stuff and the surface grim is gone but the surface has
> lost its original shine.  Any suggestions on renewing this look.  I was
> considering using simple high quality car wax - no abrasives to rub off the
> white lettering?

<trade secret>
jmwagner suggests Endust.  I have never tried it.  You're supposed to
spray it on then put the bezel back on; it stays "wet" looking and doesn't
collecte dust.
</trade secret>

> 4.    Is there a trick to taking these things apart and getting them back
> together.  I accidentally popped out the black dial face while taking apart
> the ammeter.  The instrument guts and needle are fastened to the back of the
> case.   How do I successful re-install the dial face with out bending the
> needle so it won't move freely?

Don't force it, get a larger hammer!

Other than that, I don't know.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm