Starter Motor Problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Starter Motor Problem
From: Steve Bonner <steveb@aspec.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 09:26:26 -0800

Looking for some guidance on trying to confirm if my starter motor is bad
or if the problem is elsewhere.  The car is a '62 TR4.  The starter motor
and battery where replaced about one year ago.  When I turn the key, I hear
a click from the starter solenoid, but nothing from the starter motor.

I have taken off the starter solenoid, cleaned the terminals that are
connected to the solenoid, and recharged the battery.  I turned the key and
again a click from the solenoid, but nothing from the starter motor.

I also cleaned the battery terminals including where the positive ground
wire is bolted to the car body.  I am wondering since there was some
corrosion, and I did not clean all of it off before reconnecting the
battery terminal that this could be the problem.  If it is the problem,
would'nt I find a hot wire elsewhere that is taking up the current from the
battery when I try and start the car?

Any suggestions on how to find the problem and bench test the starter is
appreciated.

Regards,

Steve Bonner