Production Runs

To: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Production Runs
From: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:03:54 -0600
I have a question for the list.

I have a TR250. From what I have learned, Triumph only made roughly 8600 of
them in a one year period. In looking at the TR6, it looks like they only
made 10-15K per year. I'm not sure of the other models, but my question is
this: I have worked in automotive for over 10 years, with Honda for 5.5 of
those. Typical yearly production numbers are 250--400K, depending on model
of Honda. Same for Toyota, except for niche cars, of course. But even those
run at roughly 3--9K/month. If Triumph was only making that many cars a year
(and North America was supposedly their largest market, if I remember
correctly), how could they do it? Given the investment, wages, materials,
etc., how did they do it? Or were they running other things besides the TRs
at the same time?

Just curious. Obviously they stayed afloat for a long time, but just
professional curiousity.

Thanks.
Bryan
bdstinocher@sewsus.com