tr6 clunk II

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tr6 clunk II
From: LBOTTOM2@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:54:54 EST
Pulled the rear wheels and the differential mounts are fine. Checked the fluid
level in the diff and it was a little low and black, but not dry (someone had
thought the diff could have gone dry and subsequently wore out).

Jacked up the rear and put her in 1st, took off the brake and moved the wheels
sharply forward and back. The wheel moves about 2 inches (probably less) and
clunks, and does this in either direction. Both rear wheels do it, and from
under the car, the sound seems centralized, as if coming from the
differential. Does this indicate worn U-joints? Do I replace the two on the
drive shaft first and see what happens, or do all 6 need replacing?

I did not mention this before, but the problem came up after I removed a
competition clutch and replaced it with a standard clutch. Could I have done
something stupid to cause this? I'm thinking bolts in the drive shaft that I
might not have tightened....will climb under and see tomorrow.

Thanks for the many replys. Everyone has been great.

Steve
Media, Pa
72 TR6
75 TR7 (looking more like a parts car every day if anyone is interested)