Re: TR4 Engine Rebuild Status and Opinions

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Engine Rebuild Status and Opinions
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 18:51:53 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< What would explain this strange set of conditions and the badly worn con-
rod
 bearings.  Any thoughts.  Should I not replace the pistons and liners if
 they pass inspection by the machine shop.

 Any advice and/or opinions from you folks that have done this before would
 be highly valued.

 Brian Sanborn >>

Hello Brian
Perhaps there is a bit difference in the weight of the two types of pistons
and that had something to do with the rod brgs. I think if it was me I'd look
at a new set of pistons. I think you can still get them w/o the liners.
I would probably also do the cam brgs, maybe new cam. If you do the cam I
think you must also do new lifters. Also go ahead and put in hardened valve
seats.
Have I spent enough of your money yet?
BTW a lot of people seem to feel the new rear seals (rubber) are the way to
go. I've done a number of engines and have yet to have a problem with the
magical original type seal. These things really do work.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4