Re: Spit Diff Rebuild

To: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Subject: Re: Spit Diff Rebuild
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:32:20 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I have a brand new NOS TR7 auto diff (just the ring and pinion, center
section and front
>case), I think it's a 3.27 or 3.07. Could I use this center section as the
basis for an
>upgraded Spitfire/GT6/Herald rear end?
*********************************
If it's the front section of the early small diff TR7, then the gears and
center section will transfer.  The nose, unfortunately, while appearing
identical to the Herald/Spitfire/GT6/Vitesse range of diffs, is missing the
mounting holes for the front plate, and to make matters worse, the bosses
aren't even there so you can't drill and tap it for one.  Being from an
automatic, and if from an early TR7, you should have a 3:27 ratio.  Would
make a great upgrade for any GT or tall ratio for a Spitfire, since it has
the beefier carrier-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (someday soon back on the road)