Re: Spitfire horn/wiper wiring question

To: fgk@us.ibm.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire horn/wiper wiring question
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 18:12:32 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-10 16:12:21 EDT, fgk@us.ibm.com writes:

> I have a '75 Spitfire, just ordered a horn relay and a
>  parking/limit switch for the wiper motor that were missing when
>  I bought it.   I need to know which wires go to the terminals -
>  the wiring diagrams don't really help here.  Both are labeled
>  as Lucas parts.
>
>  The terminals on the horn relay aren't marked C1/C2/W1/W2.
>  They are labeled 85, 86, 87, and 30/51.  The top terminal, labeled
>  87, is a brass color, and sits horizontal.  The others are silver colored,
>  and vertical, like this:
>
>                                   -        (87)
>                    (86)   |         |   (85)
>                                   |        (30/51)

Frank,

Most of the original Lucas relays had 4 terminals, labled W1, W2, C1, and C2.
W1 and W2 are the coil connections, and C1 and C2 are the switch contacts. As
far as the relay is concerned, the W terminals are interchangeable, as are the
C terminals.

Thus, the new relay equivalences would be:

30/51 = C1 (or C2)
87 = C2 (or C1)
85 = W1 (or W2)
86 = W2 (or W1)

In other words, if you use 30/51 as the C1 terminal, then 87 will be the C2
terminal. If you use the 30/51 terminal as C2, then 87 will be C1. Typcal for
the W1 and W2 terminals.

On some of the Spitfires, the horn relay only had three terminals. In that
case, the W2 terminal is connected internally to the C2 terminal, and you
should wire the new relay as follows:

Purple/black - 85
Purple/Yellow - 30/51
Purple - 87
New jumper - from 87 to 86

>  On my wiper motor, I have 3 wires (cut) coming from the motor.  They are
>  blue, red, and yellow.   One side of the switch has three terminals,  one
>  horizontal on the end, and 2 running vertical on the side, like a capital
L.
>  The other side of the switch has 5 terminals to accept the plastic mate for
>  the wires from the wiper switch.    How do the wires from the motor connect
>  to the 3 terminals?

Refer to VTR web page:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wiper-motor/

There is a complete description of the wiper motor and wiring there. Wire your
motor/switch as shown, and you should have no trouble.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74