How big is yours?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: How big is yours?
From: Terry Thompson <terry_t@access.digex.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 19:41:13 -0400 (EDT)
Going back to someone commenting about being out-accelerated (sp) by a
VW Bug while driving their Spitfire. I've recently had the low
horsepower and acceleration of my Spitfire 1500 pointed out to me again
and again (spent this past week driving my friends 88 corvette while he's
out of town sort of topped off the experience).  My question is...How big
of an engine can one put into a Spitfire without some serious modification
(Will I have to completely replace the frame or body panels with
custom made parts?).
I know I could put a GT6 bonnet on the spitfire and install the inline six
cylinder with major changes in radiator placement, carbeuration,
drivetrain etc.  But if I'm going to go through the hassle and expense of
all of changing everything anyhow, why not go as big as I can get in the
car? I've heard about rotary engines (from say an RX-7) fitting quite
nicely in a Spitfire with additions to the frame and
replacement of the drivetrain, but what about american engines?
I happen to have access to a Ford 302 that's been rebuilt, but the engine
looks almost as large as the car.

Am I the only one dreaming of putting an altered decal on their bonnet
that has the words "Spitfire 5000"?

Don't get me wrong. I love the car, but as a daily driver, it's really
starting to bite (it takes about half a minute to get up to Highway
(65+ mph) speeds).  I could buy my friend's (hardly used) Corvette for
just under $10k.  But then I think what could I do to the Spit for $10k?
Hmmm...

I guess I'd just like to see what the feasability is (cost & time), and
know what people's experiences have been having altered their Spitfires.

Terry Thompson
'76 Underpowered Spitfire

"So what? I'm sure lots of people get beat in the quarter mile by Geo
Metros."