Re: Engine stands, TR2-4 (TR6 story)

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: Engine stands, TR2-4 (TR6 story)
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:24:14 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I used four bolts - two 5/16 and two 3/8 to the transmission mounting plate for
my TR6.  One of the holes I used was a starter bolt hole.  I wheeled the stand
in and out of the garage many times during my rebuild (apartment garage with no
electricity or lights).  With 3-wheel stands, be careful, as the will tip
easily.

My challenge was taking the engine apart.  I borrowed a hoist to remove the
engine/trans combo.  We separated the combo and put the engine on the stand.
The hoist was then returned.  During disassembly, I was faced with the
challenge of getting down to the bare block, with the engine on the stand,
flywheel and all, with no hoist.

My solution:  I removed as much as possible, including pistons, with the engine
on the stand.  Then I put some boards across the back of my station wagon (a
pickup would work well also), rotated the engine top down, and pushed it in the
back of the car.  I then jacked up the back of the car till the stand just went
in the air.  I removed the engine stand, lowered the car, removed the mounting
bracket, flywheel, endplate, crankshaft, etc.  I then had the bare block, which
I could lift myself.  WARNING:  the block is heavy.  Use proper lifting
procedure and get help if needed.  Reassembly went the same way.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6
91 Subaru Legacy Wagon temporary engine lift/stand