Out of the Closet (was TR3 engine painting)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Out of the Closet (was TR3 engine painting)
From: Robin Hoppe <RHoppe@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 03:50:18 +0000

        Hello Listers,

                At last, after months of lurcking and informative reading,
        an issue which forces me out of the closet (so to speak).
        A few weeks ago Jack McCarrick, Steve Thorton, and others spoke
        of engine colors for our beloved beasts, quoting Bill Piggot
        and other sources of wisdom on the topic of TR3 engine color. The
        conventional choice is ,of course, black, but as the owner of
        TCF 1658, one of a sub species noted for its variations from the norm,
        and possesing an original (per the BMIHT build sheet) motor in
        the color RED, I am very interested in the TR3B owned by the
        gentleman named Shelly (last name Schackstein, I am told) and
        anything that I can learn about his similarly colored powerplant.
        I am told that the car was featured in a mid 80's VTR magazine,
        so any help from old VTR hands would be much appreciated. For
        those interested, the color of my motor is a red-orange, most
        closely matched by the Eastwood engine color for mid/late 60's
        Chrysler motors, and shows no signs of overspray or any other
        color hiding underneath. Any help would be most appreciated, as
        I am on the verge of a complete rebuild, and I'd hate to bury
        a genuine rarity under Hirsh black if I could help it.

                        Thanks for any help or advice!

                                Bruce Hoppe
                                doing business as
                                Rhoppe@worldnet.att.net