Re: TR4 Mirrors

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 Mirrors
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 19:00:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Susan Aroldi wrote:

> When I had my 1964 TR4 repainted, the shop threw out the original mirrors
> that were affixed to the front of the fenders (yes, they really did do
> that -- they said that they broke when they took them off, but they didn't
> have the pieces).  I did buy replacements, but I just don't like them --
> they are quite different from the originals, which had a round, rather
> than a tear-shaped base, and could be twisted up out of the way if you
> were in a tight spot.
>
> Does anyone know where I might find original fender mirrors?

Strictly speaking, there is no "original" wing mirror for the TR4.  They
weren't part of the standard equipment specification.  However it's quite
possible that your TR4 (or any other) was sold to its original owner
equipped with them.

The "Triumph Sports Car 20 TR4 Spare Parts Catalogue" (the factory
parts book) lists several varieties in the "Accessories and Special
Orders" section:

Part No.        Description
--------        -----------
502459          Wing Mirror
612306          Wing Mirror (Switzerland only)
573677          Wing Mirror
560632          Wing Mirror - 'D' Type, Flyback
570409          Wing Mirror - 'Turina' Type, Flyback
608467/WL       Wing Mirror - Round, Rigid
608467/M        Wing Mirror - 'Morgan' Type

The catalogue provides no illustration or more detailed description for
any of those.

Wing mirrors were a popular dealer-installed or owner-installed accessory.
If yours weren't any of the above, they could have been any of several
brands sold by aftermarket suppliers.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net