Tubes?

To: sweisman@gis.net
Subject: Tubes?
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:46:38 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
     Sumner wrote:

     "Those 1963 rims were never made for tubeless tires -- they used tubes
     in those days.  Even if you are able to seal around the edges with the
     sealants used today, my experience has been that the tires will
     gradually lose air.  After going through what you are going through, I
     simply added tubes.  Problem solved.

     Sumner Weisman
     62 TR-3B
     Previously 70 MGB-GT  (same problem)"
     OK, all you tube proponents. What's different about these rims?
     They're made of steel, the shape seems the same (but maybe not...),
     they don't have spokes, and these cars were available with radials,
     so, what did people do who wanted to use tubeless tires in 1963? Did
     they all say "Well, we aren't really ready for tubeless yet, so we'd
     better use tubes, our rims aren't sophisticated enough?" I really
     thought the world had moved to tubeless already; am I in error about
     this?
     And, do all you TR3 owners have tubes? I always thought tubes were for
     tires that were getting kind of old, or spoked wheels that were leaky.

     Sumner: please don't take this as a shot at you personally; I've had
     several comments such as yours and just want to get this clear in my
     mind.

     For the record: after bead-blasting, my rims are like new. There is no
     rust around the perimeter at all, and the surface is smoooooth.

     My apologies if this sounds overly aggressive. It isn't meant to be.

     Regards,
     Jim Wallace