Dashboard surround refurbishment (was: What IS that stuff???)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dashboard surround refurbishment (was: What IS that stuff???)
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:06:35 GMT
On 15 Jun 1998, William Davies wrote:

>     When Hugh Roberts built his legendary Vitesse, he used a normal vinyl
> material with as close a pattern to the original covering as possible.
> However, before gluing to the metalwork, he removed the backing fabric with
> acid (I don't know what type), leaving just the plastic material,

This sounds very interesting.

I have a cracked dashboard surround (the 2000 has the standard vacuum
formed stiff black vinyl-over-foam affair). It would seem vinyl
leather-ersatz might do the job. It is flexible, but not flexible enough
due to the fabric strengthening on the back.

Anyone attempted something similar. What acid would be suitable?

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway