Announcements & problems

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Announcements & problems
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 21:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
OK, as promised(?), I've updated my web-page.  See it at:

http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/index.htm

Please advise me if there are any boo-boos or broken links.

Also, I recently added a Craftsman 4.5" angle grinder to my box-o-goodies.
I got it cheap from the clearance bin; turns out because it had a
defective switch.  Returned it, under warranty, they fixed it, worked
twice, broke again.

Turns out the thumb switch is connected to the electrical switch with a
poorly-designed remote control.  Dan Masters would be disgusted.  I fixed
it with some careful engineering of my own.  If anyone wants details,
ask.  (...so much for the one-year warranty :-))

But one thing I notice with the tool is that the cutter disc is very thin;
it's nice to hog away the rusty sheet metal, but after a while the nut
burrows up the shaft and 'dishes' the cutterwheel too much.  It's even
started to crack a bit around the center.

Now, I don't want it to fly apart at 10,000+ RPM; anyone know a way around
this?  Such as it is, I won't be using the cutter much (too bad-- is
lighter than the grinder wheel, and balanced better too), but I want to
keep my track record clean.  No injuries yet (but I did fry all the hair
off one knuckle with the welding torch...)

One final non-LBC note: the college experienced a backbone failure this
weekend and I wasn't able to get email.  Anyone know if it's possible to
set up a "next-of-kin" email address using majordomo?  I know it's
difficult to unsubscribe a given account by using a different given
account; I'm wondering if there's a way to pre-authorize a someone else's
email to accept your commands.  A password maybe?

-Malcolm