TR7 5 speed box removal question

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 5 speed box removal question
From: john derbyshire <jderbyshire@maxon-hq.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 17:39:20 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at post.mail.demon.net
Recieved: from jderbyshire by post_new.maxon-hq.co.uk (8.8.7) id LAA03677; Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:23:13 +0100
Hi everyone

Quick question for you listers

Anyone had experience of dropping the 5 speed box out of a 2.0L TR7. And if
so how easy ?

So far I have been dropping the engine and gear box as an assembly, but I'm
getting fed up with all the hassle of this. I thought get the car up on
ramps, and drop the box.

This will be the last time I do this after the last unsuccessful and cost
gear box repair, I tried to rebuild it my self, I think a got the shims
wrong even though I used a dial gauge as the manual describes. The resulting
whine, hard to engage 1st/2nd and reverse and not the little ping noise like
the bearing are starting to go again. So I am going to buy a reconditioned
one from Rimmer Brothers and stuff it in. I just dont want to remove the
engine again.

regards john derbyshire