Re: Herald carb tuning

To: Brendan Perry <bhp@star.le.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Herald carb tuning
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 15:21:33 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Brendan Perry wrote:

> I have a '64 Herald 12/50 with a Solex B30 carb...
> After starting fine and idling fine, I drive it for awhile and it starts
> to get rather erratic at slow speeds. In 4th gear on the highway it
> doesn't seem to do anything wrong and in fact seems to have a bit
> more pep since the rebuild, but in 1st and 2nd after the car has
> warmed up, it occasionally 'bucks' a bit, often when I back off the
> throttle quickly but mostly I have trouble keeping the engine from
> stalling when at a stop. This only occurs after the engine is fully
> warm; the first few minutes of operation being fairly trouble-free.
>
> I followed the rather poor tuning instructions from the Haynes
> Manual, but I'd appreciate input as to what the vacuum level
> should be (I have a vacuum gauge) and what idle rpm speed this
> car should have.

I don't have any vacuum spec's, not even from the factory workshop
manual, so I can't help you there. The idle is supposed to be 500 rpm.

The sum and total of factory tuning is to set idle at 500 rpm, unscrew
the volume control screw until the engine begins to hunt, then screw in
until the hunting disappears and the engine idles smoothly. Reset the
idle to 500 rpm if necessary. That's almost verbatim from THE BOOK!

Assuming that igntion is up to par and valve clearances are correct, I
suspect that the choke butterfly might be hanging up a bit and not fully
opening (possibly a cable misadjustment?), the volume control adjustment is
off a bit, or something is slightly amiss with the accelerator pump and/or
its linkage. There's not too much else that can go wrong (unless the float
is a bit off or some dirt is partially blocking a jet or something like
that).

Let us know what it turns out to be.

--Andy