Tr-4 Engine Rebuild

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tr-4 Engine Rebuild
From: nogera1@juno.com (bob nogueira)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 11:16:47 -0500
Just finished tearing down my TR4 Engine for the second year in a row and
I'm not pleased with what I found. Not wanting to do it again next year I
thought I'd solicit  suggestions and recommendations.
I tore it down last year to put in one of the Rover Neoprene seal kits to
replace the slinger.   One year and 15,000 miles later she was pumping
out so much oil that the clutch was slipping real bad.  Opening up the
engine I found the front and rear mains to be totally trashed The center
bearing looks good .  The  'lead'  is lifting  on the outside of  insert
with little damage to the interior surface. The journal mics out with no
tapper.
My current plan is to send the block to  the machine shop and have the
main journals line board  and have the crank mains re ground.

Am I missing anything ?  Any suggestions ?

Bob Nogueira