Rebuilding Brake Master Cylinder (76 TR6)

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rebuilding Brake Master Cylinder (76 TR6)
From: "Rob Reynolds" <r.reynolds@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:35:23 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I neglected my winter chores and now must rebuild the master cylinder on my
76 TR6 to take maximum advantage of the nice weather.  I have not attempted
this before and would like to know if there are any special tips or tricks I
should be aware of.

I bought the Lucas T56 master cylinder rebuild kit from TRF which consists
of 6 various-size rubber gaskets , a small bent metal washer, and a small
metal piston with a cone-shaped head and attached spring.  The directions
say to "clean the cylinder bore with Girling Cleaning Fluid", to grease
certain of the gaskets with "unused Castrol Girling brake fluid", and to
"squeeze Girling Rubber Grease from kit into Dust Cover."  I know I'm to use
LMA brake fluid, but how critical is the Girling Cleaning Fluid?  What are
appropriate substitutes, if any?  There was no Girling Rubber Grease in my
kit.  What are appropriate substitutes?

If I have an extra body to help, is it still useful to purchase one of the
special brake bleeding tools?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob Reynolds
Reston, VA