Re: Powder coating engine blocks

To: "Gano, Ken" <kengano@advant.com>
Subject: Re: Powder coating engine blocks
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 21:55:41 -0700
Cc: shop talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>, triumphs mail list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Gano, Ken wrote:

>     Would anyone care to comment on powder coating engine blocks?
>
>     Just when I thought I was ready to start putting the engine together, I
> am noticing LOTS of rust through the engine enamel (Auto Zone special) I
> sprayed just last fall.  If I'm going to back up and find a better finish,
> now is the time to do it.
>
>     I've always presumed that a finish that would best disperse heat would
> be desirable, and my very uneducated guess would be that powder coat would
> tend to hold heat.

No experience powder-coating blocks, but a half-educated guess would be
that powder-coat would tend block radiated heat. I think the stuff is
more akin to a plastic than a paint, so it is not only thicker, denser,
but more of an insulator. The trivia for today is that perhaps the
single best material for radiating heat from a surface is rusty cast
iron. Most people think aluminum is the best, and it is for heat
transfer through the material, but not off the surface. So, that rusty
ol' block is probably helping to keep things cool. This is one of those
instances where making it pretty doesn't necessarily translate to better
performance.

Would look nice, though.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....