Sheet metal gauges

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Sheet metal gauges
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 19:45:27 -0800 (PST)

I bought a small piece of sheetmetal from Canadian Tire the other day, for
body repairs... I've been bashing out my B-Post, using a wooden mold.
That's been going fine.

Tonight I found a piece of the old metal that had red paint on both sides
(original!)- put the micrometer on it and came up with a thickness of
0.0423".  The new metal is 0.0300" (22 ga?)

Should I be worried?  Is paint 1/100 of an inch thick?

Anyone know offhand the decimal equivalents for sheet metal?  My Pocket
Ref has found someone else's pocket to be in right now :-(

thanks,
-Malcolm