TR6 drivetrain noise

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 drivetrain noise
From: "Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 11:41:40 -0500
I recently put my 73 TR6 back on the road after a 1.5 yr. restoration.
Before it came off the road, it had standard wheels and Micheline
redlines, with rubber bushings in the suspension.  I vaguely remember
before I took the car off the road (I had only had it for awhile and did
not drive it too much) a noise emanating from the drivetrain, such as
driving a 4X4 with knobby tires.

Now that I have Pirelli tires (H rated), and poly bushes throughout, the
noise has increased.  It varies, of course, with car speed, but not with
engine speed.  Seems to be coming from the rear, and again sounds as if
I am driving with snow tires.  The noise seems to increase on corners,
although with my makeshift temporary exhaust system it's hard to tell
:-).

Would this be the rear hubs?  U-joints?.

I have not had a four wheel alignment done.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks

Robert Carley
73TR6