RE: 76 TR6 Over Drive

To: "'JDCampa'" <JDCampa@aol.com>
Subject: RE: 76 TR6 Over Drive
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 09:26:18 -0700
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

JD,

First of all, don't drive it in reverse!!! This will result in expensive
to repair damage (you may have already reached this point).

Second, it sounds as if you have at least two problems.

1. The column switch - The only way the o/d will engage is if the
solenoid attached to the trans is getting 2 amps of current. So the
sporadic engage and disengage has to be caused by an electrical problem.
Most likely the switch is either fried or needs to have its connections
checked. A wiring diagram will help you with this analysis.

2. Engaging in reverse - there is a switch on top of the trans which is
supposed to shut off power to the solenoid whenever the car is in
reverse (or in 1st or 2nd on 76 TR6s) no matter what position the column
switch is in. It sounds as if you have a problem with this switch as
well. As I said, serious damage results if you drive with the car in
reverse and o/d on - the "lockout" switch is supposed to prevent this.

I would definitely start by making sure the electrics are working as
designed. You will need to pop the trans cover off to get at the lockout
switches but before going that far, just check that the solenoid is
getting power when required. The Bentley manual does explain how to do
this.

Good luck,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)