3-2-1 we have IGNITION ;) Houston.....

To: blang@mit.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 3-2-1 we have IGNITION ;) Houston.....
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:27:38 -0500
     Well, the non-starting, recently Ignitor installed TR6 is living up to
     it's LBC reputation.

     I went home at lunchtime, pulled of the battery charger, turned the
     key and she was cranking, then...coughed once. I was excited.

     I turned the key again....CLICK-CLICK. Darn!

     Put it in gear, rocked her, then turned it again. Crank, crank crank
     (about 8 times) then a spit and a cough and it was RUNNING!

     D**m! It idled rough, I brought it up to about 3000 RPM for about 10
     seconds just waiting for the rotor to smash into the cap; it didn't.
     It idled at about 700, but rough.

     Well, this eliminates a problem coil, Ignitor and battery. My guess is
     that either the timing is still off, or the slightly chewed up cap is
     my problem.

     I'll pull the plugs tonight to check their color. I'm not going to
     re-install the points, etc. As soon as the dizzy cap arrives, I'll
     change the plugs gapped at .035", re-check the timing, and get the
     carbs tuned.

     Did I mention that when I held a piece of cardboard near the exhaust
     pipe and revved the engine, it was covered in a black, wet soot?
     Running rich?

     As always, thanks

     Jeff
     '73 TR6