About TR6 project cars

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: About TR6 project cars
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:29:44 -0600
I saw the conversation about the TR6 in boxes earlier this week.  I think
the response(s) were good, although I've got an observation or two.

1)  A TR6 (or just about any car) in boxes is not going to be a "cheap"
ride.  As everything is apart, there is no way to judge just how good the
mechanical and electric parts are working.  Count on having to re-do
everything, and be pleasantly surprised when pieces work ok without major
repair.

2)  If the car is completely stripped out it is a good way to see just how
good (or bad)  the bodyshell really is.  You can see down into the fenders
and in the spots normally hidden by carpeting or interior or whatever.

I've heard that NEW frames were in the $1000+ range, and the NEW bodyshells
were being sold a few years ago at more than the $4k that the MGB shells are
running.  Obviously used bodyshells and frames won't be worth the new
prices, but at the same time they must have some reasonable value.

Having said that, here's a question for the list.  What is a fair price for
a straight solid frame and straight rust free tub, that also happens to come
with the rest of the bits and pieces in boxes?  '72 model (produced November
'71).

No, it's not a hypothetical question.  It's currently living in my barn, the
result of a misunderstanding with a friend who decided that getting a solid
TR6 to hang his mechanical pieces onto didn't include starting a frame off
restoration!

I can give more details offline to interested parties.

Nomex on

Jim Gambony
jim.gambony@eds.com

too many LBCs to list!